An article in today's local paper caught my attention. Its headline read "Shaky economy hits children". This piqued my interest, but as I read on I was amazed to find the "tough" circumstances under which this year's back-to-school crew is being asked to function. Hard times are described as: children will walk farther to the bus stop (fewer stops because of rising fuel costs), lunch prices are jumping from $1.30 - $2.00, children will be using "old" textbooks because they can't afford new ones, and (gasp) they may be forced to wear...LAST YEAR'S CLOTHES!!! One mother is quoted as saying that her child will actually have to use last year's backpack...it cost $50.
I was contemplating "back-to-school" supplies the other day, in an attempt to be as frugal as possible without depriving my kids of the feeling of having new things at the beginning of a new year. Yes, there is that "Cars" backpack/lunchpail combo on sale at Sears for $12.50 (half price) and Evan would love it, but his $8 backpack from J.C. Penney outlet that he used last year is still in decent shape. Therefore, what lessons would he be learning from parents that just "ditched" last year's stuff because something a little "cooler" was on the market? I pulled out all of last years uniforms, salvaged what I could, discarded what I had to, and placed an order to fill the gap. An older boy at church gave my boys his gently used dress shoes from the last several years. With the purchase of a new set of strings for one of the pair, we will have their feet lookin' good for probably 97 cents. These are just a couple of ways that we are able to save this year. Each year has its purchases, but who says everything has to be new every year???
Our government has this obsession with "new". Their idea is that in order for something to be functional it has to be new. For example, our little village voted for a tax increase to build a new school. The old school is beautiful, central to all residents, and in great shape. The janitors say that with an addition for extra classrooms, the "old" school would be just fine. Of course, the school board and administration were granted their wish, and construction on the new building...across from a retirement center...on the very edge of the district...begins in December. I can't even begin to list the extra expenses (beside the building itself) this will incur. But who cares? The good 'ole homeowners will take care of the new school...and if the increase doesn't cover it, the homeowners will be given another levy.
So here's my response to the "poor little children": the extra walk to the bus stop may provide you with the exercise you need to compensate for all the T.V. watching and video game playing, $2.00 for a lunch isn't bad...try paying tuition, "old" books are the wisest investment one can make...you're only gonna use 'em one year, and as for the clothes...wear 'em long enough and eventually they'll come back in style.
As you can see...the article didn't necessarily bring out the best in me. What do you think? :)
10 comments:
I agree. I think we Americans feel that everything needs to be handed to us on a silver platter. Thankfully I don't have to deal with school right now and not for a couple more years. Good luck.
Amen, sister! :-) Many people would LOVE to be as "unfortunate" as we are. We are so blessed. Trent started Kindergarten by the way. New thing for Timothy and I. I think he's doing pretty good, and I've only shed a few tears, though I really miss him around during the day. Hope you all are doing well! Love, Angie
It is sad that it has come to this and the kids do not know what it is to do with out. When I was babysitting this summer the girls were so picky on what they ate and I told them that there are little kids in this state would give anything to be eating like they were. They did not want to go to the park in the afternoon because it was too hot and in the morning they were tired. There Dad let them watch TV till late and then when they woke up in the night they would get up and watch it or play on the computer. Help up all.
I read this article too, and had to roll my eyes.
Jared is the only one who got new clothes. 4 pairs of pants, because I couldn't find any at yardsales this summer. Other than that Jared is wearing hand-me-down uniform shirts from Brennan. Brennan just has to wear what he has.
Brennan got a new backpack. That's it. I wasn't going to even buy new school supplies, since what we have laying around is fine, but I had to buy red pencils with ERASERS!! Bummer. I have loads of red pencils, but not with erasers.
Anyway, I thought the article was pretty pathetic. I guess that how one starts to feel when they're spending someone else's money, huh?
I feel your pain! Emy's feet have been growing like crazy this summer so she has a bunch of summer shoes that are now too small. I take them to the mission up the road. Good for them, not so good for me :-)
Well lets see where do I begin. I can't feel sorry for those who think they have to have everything new. But I sure hated my bill by the time I got finished purchasing the necessities needed for school. With 4 kids in school it's quite a chunk. All 4 got 1 new uniform each, all 4 had to have 1 pr. of shoes. 1 got a backpack, and all 4 had to have the needed paper, folders, pencils glue etc. and 1 in a private school with first months tuition and book fees while the 3 youngest are in public and I still had a thousand dollars in it to start school. I can't imagine where I would be had they all gotten new lunch boxes and backpacks and more uniforms. Probably in the poor house. I decided it was cheaper for the 3 youngest to buy lunches at $1.75 ea. per day than to pack.For the one in private at $5 per day for lunch we can probably pack cheaper. I can't imagine having to buy nice clothes for each one if we didn't have uniforms. Lets just say I'm thankful for uniforms at this point.Why do people think everything has to be new?
Totally agree with you! If there is one thing I am trying to teach my kids, it is contentment.
AMEN!!! I don't buy everything new every year, if it is in good shape from last year, they use it. I know my kids don't like it, but I also figure they have a TON more than I ever had growing up! I don't make them look like dorks either, I hate it when parents don't even try to make their kids look nice. We are sooo spoiled here in the US! Keep up the good work, your kids still love you, even if they "have to" use stuff from last year : )
We didn't even VISIT the store until we had assembled the the existing supplies we already had and marked them off the list. We are not just going to keep starting over ever year.
I did spring for a new backpack since the other one had lasted 2 years. It was still in good shape, but has always been too large for Connor and I've worried he shouldn't be carrying something that heavy. (Plus, it collects JUNK!) I let him pick out a new SMALLER one on the condition that the old one goes in my yard sale since Kent already has a hand-me-down.
When we do buy new supplies/clothes around here, it's generally always financed by the sale of some of the old stuff in yard sales, consignment stores and eBay.
Stephanie...thats interesting. There were six of us and I don't think backpacks existed back in our day...maybe a cardboard box. Mom used to take us to the Goodwill for our school clothes. Ruth and I had about three skirts between us and we survived. Have to say when we moved to Hobe Sound and the school put us all in uniforms it felt great. We all looked the same and it was wonderful!Ha Love you so much! Take care and keep up being a great Mom. Aunt Sarah
Post a Comment