Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Caffeine or No Caffeine?

This is a question for all of you who have been "with child":

What was your method of dealing with caffeine?

a. total abstention
b. only in case of extreme fatigue or headache
c. moderation
d. "Oh, I thought I was supposed to drink twice as much for the sake of the baby!"

Just curious. I have a heart condition (can't remember the medical term) of sorts where my heart will go into a very rapid (160 bpm) beat for a period of time. I have had this last for as much as a few seconds up to 4 hours. Usually it lasts about 45 minutes. I find that caffeine with fatigue aggravates this condition, so when I was pregnant for Kaitlynn I totally quit drinking caffeinated beverages. Even tea. I continued this until last spring. Drinking the caffeinated beverages (in moderation) didn't seem to aggravate it unless my stress levels were high. During this pregnancy I have not eliminated my caffeine, but definitely watch how much I take in. Your thoughts?

19 comments:

Nancy said...

I guess I went with "c" mostly. I'm a Diet Coke addict....J/K. I love Diet Coke though and sometimes I needed the caffeine. And sometimes when dining out I would have it as a treat.I really drank very little of it when I did get it. I tend to like it after the ice has melted and it has been watered down a bit. Still, I would be careful if your heart is racing. I've learned a person's heart is very important to their existence. lol! Hope that helps. The real question is....can a Mom survive without caffeine???lol

The Dickinsons said...

Since I usually don't drink Coke or things with caffeine, I don't have any trouble not doing it when I'm pregnant. =)

So you have about 6 weeks left? How exciting!

I have about 32 weeks. =D We're excited about our baby!

Love, Heather =)

Blair Bunch said...

Don't drink it, just swish it around in your mouth for the flavor and then spit it out! (you can save money by spitting it back into the can)

Leanna Pitcher said...

Moderation! I definitely cut WAY back. If I am remembering correctly I would try and drink decaf coffee at work or if I had the regular I would make sure the 2nd cup was decaf. I drank Sprite sometimes instead of other pops, etc. I did drink a entire Dr. Pepper on the way to the Dr. for my 20 week ultrasound - had to make sure that baby was moving and showing it's stuff :). Good luck - the last 6 weeks seems as last as the first 34 - as you already probably know.

Anonymous said...

The "Blair bunch" comment made me laugh. I would never be disciplined enough to just "swish it around" in my mouth. I just love pop too much! I tried to not drink caffeine while pg because they tell you not to. I'm with Nancy though, if you're heart is racing like that after drinking it, you might better give it up. Good luck! I love my Coke Zero and I know how hard it is to quit drinking pop.

Nancy said...

Hey...you just left a comment on my blog about the Duggars. I'm wondering where I could find the DVD set you mentioned. It sounds like something the kids (and I) would LOVE to see. Or maybe if you're coming to Homecoming is there a chance we could borrow it and then mail it back??

Betty said...

I'm not a heavy drinker of any liquids whatsoever. But I do like my coffee and soda. I try to limit myself to 1 soda a day if I even get that and 1 cup of coffe in the morning and sometimes one in the afternoon since I am working in the office with Rod now. If we have coffee after dinner it's got to be decaf or since it's starbucks all the way I'll be awake all night. I do find that starbucks seems to be higher in caffeine, and if I drink too much directly from a starbucks shop my heart will flutter. So I guess just limit yourself . Although with the last baby (Meagan) I became more addicted to coffee. So she was born loving it from the beginning. Now she has to have her coffee (watered down ) every day too.

Maggie said...

Hey Stephanie,

This is Margaret Wallace Gidisa. When I was pregnant I quit cold turkey, not even any pops at all.

Is your heart condition called tachycardia? I have a touch of that also. I went to MD and they told me I was a coffee abuser.:) they said to quit all together-wow that was hard to take. I picked up major coffee drinking after having the kiddos. It is honestly hard to quit drinking it. Good luck!

Greg & Stephanie said...

Melissa,
You are hilarious - knowing you makes it even funnier - like you would just spit it back into the can! LOL
Margaret,
Great to hear from you! I think that is what it is called. I went to the hospital after having Kaitlynn and had all of the tests run just to make sure my heart wasn't going to blow up or something. Everything is fine, and I inherited this condition from my dear mother who has seemed to "outgrow" it during her adulthood. Even now when she gets really stressed or tired she'll feel the same thing, only hers never lasted near as long as what mine do.
Nancy,
I will try to get the info on the dvd's. I'm pretty sure someone just taped them off of the the Discovery Channel, and ours may have some scratches, but if they're workable I'll try to bring them this weekend.

Everyone,
So I'm thinking you're thinking I should not have a French Vanilla Capp. on the way to school. Is this right? Yes, I know it's Speedway and it's cheap, but I love them! I usually down at least one bottle of H2O afterward. Does water really dilute caffeine?

Greg & Stephanie said...

Oh, and Heather, Congratulations!!!
Greg told me last week about your "condition" and I'm thrilled for you! I'm actually sad that this will be my last pregnancy. Although I don't want more than 4 children (I think maybe I can adequately feed and clothe that many!), there is something about the miracle of carrying a life inside of you for 40 weeks...

Greg & Stephanie said...

Leanna,
Thanks for posting! Unfortunately for me, time is flying. I don't get one day finished before the next one starts! Mid-November will be here before this chic is ready!

Angie D said...

I'll vote for C. With Connor, I tried to completely cut caffeine out and I was miserable. When I got pregnant with Kent, the doctor said to enjoy my coffee in moderation. I stuck to one cup per day and avoided any other major sources of caffeine for the rest of the day.

Jana said...

No Caffeine?? Wow, that would be very hard for me!! Usually for me during preg., my desire for pop drastically decreases. Not so this time. Even worse, I usually live and die by diet (I know, there are all kinds of horror stories about that stuff as well), but this time only the real will do!!

My doctors have never had a problem with me drinking pop--as long as its in moderation. Some days are a "1 can day", other days may require 3 or so. :-)

Greg & Stephanie said...

My friend, Stephenie Brugger, recently told me that she did not drink caffeinated beverages for Blake and he was an angel. For Kade, she indulged. The results were slightly, eh hmm, different! LOL! Anyway, although her research is not scientifically valid, she is swearing off caffeine for this pregnancy!

Erika said...

I have cut out all caffeine during my pregnancy. But that wasnt the hard part!!! I only drink diet because of my diabetes and most all diet pops are sweetened with aspartame which I hear is bad. So I have drank tons of water:) and Diet Rite, because it is sweetened with splenda and doesn't have any caffeine. I also had to cut out my sugar-free jello, my crystal lite and my favorite yogurts because they were all sweetened with aspartame!!!!
We must be due around the same time because I only have 6 weeks left also:)

Erin said...

Supraventricular tachycardia? No more caffine for you. Water, water, water. That was advice from my OB husband! Good luck!
I can only imagine my 9 months living with an OB. I won't be able to get away with anything!

Erin

Carrie said...

My OB told me not to have more than 2 per day. I obeyed very carefully and always had two per day, whether I felt I needed it or not! ;D Just kidding, of course!

BUT, I was not suffering from tachycardia, either.

I drank the same amount of caffeine with both boys. I have one that's relatively calm and laid-back and one that's quite lively. I prefer to blame the liveliness on his father, who was giving him sips of double macchiatos (read 2, yes, 2, shots of espresso) at 4-5 months.

Martha C said...

I am a water woman 365, 24/7, so this has not been a big issue. I do not even like coffee or tea and can easily do without ever drinking pop. When it came to my nausea though, it was one of the few things that helped, so I did have one a day for a little while. I hoped that little wasn't harmful, but when you are desparate, you will try ANYTHING.

Rob and Deanna said...

I try to refrain completely from caffeine when I am pregnant. I would take a sip of Rob's once in a while but usually only a sip. I have a friend that drank caffeine tons during pregnancy & her baby wasn't the healthiest & seem to have lots of tummy trouble. SO....who knows?