Monday, October 6, 2008

Scenes from the weekend...

There were lots of events happening in our area last Saturday...Findlay Craft Show, Northwest Ohio Gun Show, and Johnny Appleseed Fall Family Fest, to name a few. We couldn't decide, so after sleeping in and having eggs and toast, we jumped in the van and headed north. As we neared Bluffton, the consensus was Holmes County! We wanted to spend the day together, which eliminated the gun and craft shows, and we had already taken a field trip to Johnny Appleseed, plus Holmes County is just so much fun! Since we had a late start and a 2.5 hour drive, we ate fast food on the road, and arrived in Berlin at around 2:00. Hershberger's was the first stop on our list, as they have an awesome store (tons of yummy baked goods, and lots of fresh veggies for sale), a huge petting zoo, and an all around great atmosphere. The kids absolutely loved it, and Greg was thrilled to get a fry pie. :) After spending some time there, we went on in to Berlin where we shopped, and shopped, and shopped. It was fun, the weather was perfect (60 degrees), and the kids came home saying they liked it better than King's Island. I call that a success!


Home of Holmes County's largest Belgium horses. I believe it!

I usually have to bribe Kaitlynn to ride, but something about the Amish girl intrigued her, and she begged to go! It was really cute...this was a pretty big place, and the little guy running the "office" was only about 6 or 7, younger than Evan I would imagine. I went to the window and he asked me if I wanted to purchase a ride to the pumpkin patch on the horse-drawn buggy. I told him we had already done that, and I just wanted to purchase a $3 pony ride for my daughter. He was so cute and businesslike. He took my $20 bill, and returned 3-$5 and 2-$1. It just cracked me up. He didn't have to think twice, just made change in his head, then continued with me in conversation. I think fast food chains should send their trainees to live with the Amish for a week. It would probably eliminate the need for them to be so dependent on computers for their simple calculations!

This little guy had a hold on my skirt. I didn't know it until Kaitlynn pointed it out to me. Fortunately he didn't put any holes in it with his sharp little teeth...

Greg took the boys and Allison for a couple of hours, while Kaitlynn and I went "power shopping". Since the sidewalks in Berlin tend to roll up between 5 and 7 in the evening, we knew we didn't have much time. Kaitlynn was so much fun! She literally drug me from one place to the next, one room to the next, with her "Mom, look at this! Come on, mom, let's go in here!" She didn't complain of being tired, but this is what happened on the ride home...

4 comments:

Marea P said...

I could tell that your kiddos had a wonderful time. I heard lots of tidbits during lunch today. :) I am so glad we had the opportunity to go last year, so I could picture your day pretty well.

Adam & Val & Aubrey & Annie said...

Fun times! So glad you had some good family time.

Andrea said...

I wish we lived closer. I miss you guys!

Sarah said...

Thats what I call shoppin sister! Look at her...wore out! Thats how I feel sometimes but I have to drive home!Ha Love you...Aunt Sarah