I never really cared for the 'God thing' phrase. Not really sure why...I guess because it seemed to be a fad, kind of like WWJD, just thrown around without much thought. Maybe I'm totally wrong, because today something happened to me that seemed to be a 'God thing'. :)
As you may have seen in previous posts, my students have been involved in several "missions" projects this year. We are reaching out into our community with small acts of kindness. The local crisis pregnancy center has been having a shortage of infant formula and diapers. They use the items as incentives - the girls who come for help have to achieve certain objectives and goals (attend church, read a certain book, watch a parenting dvd, etc.) in order to "pay" for the items they receive. I love the approach. It's not a "something for nothing" giveaway, but genuine help for genuine need.
Anyway, I had the idea for our students to do a formula drive for the center. I felt that 50 cans of formula was a pretty good goal, considering the price of the stuff. Several weeks into it, I realized that people just weren't into it. I had already spent $25 on two cans of the WalMart brand, and wanted to do more, but hated to spend more! I was kind of bummed that the project hadn't really "taken off" like I had hoped. I kept putting off the ending date, hoping more would arrive.
Today when I arrived home from school, a neat little package was sitting on the porch...Similac was evidently confused, and thought I had become a mom for the 5th time. They sent me a welcome kit, complete with the typical 2 cans of formula and 4 coupons worth $5 each! I was so excited! I went to my stash of grocery ads, looking to see who had Similac on sale. To my disappointment, no one had any on sale, so I figured I would just use the coupons and pay the $28 difference.
I headed on into Rays Supermarket (Clock Tower Plaza) to pick up a few things that were going off sale today, and as I wrapped up my shopping, I made my way to the infant goods aisle. I noticed some sale tags directly under the Similac, and was a little puzzled that I had not seen them in the ad. As I made my way closer, I could not believe my eyes. The price $13.20 had been crossed out, and the sale price read $5.99! Combined with my $5 off coupon, I paid .99 for each can of Similac! So, yesterday I felt bad about the lack of enthusiasm for the formula drive...today I was able to contribute 6 cans(valued at $79.20)for $3.98! That's a 'God thing'!
P.S. If anyone else is interested, Rays Clocktower had several shelves loaded with cans at that price. I would even be willing to pick them up for you if you would like to contribute money to the cause! Thanks!
8 comments:
Wow! That's great! Similac evidently thought I was becoming a mother again for the 5th. time also. :) I received the same package (awhile back) and was able to pass it on to someone that needed it!
Man...why didn't I receive that package at my doorstep? Wait...maybe I did...how would I know?! Anyway, that is totally awesome how God worked that out for you. Is it the blue similac can...advanced with iron? That's what we use for Aubrey. I'd be interesting in you buying some for me so I can bring them back with me. We pay like $6.49 or so, I think. CI, of course.
Wow! What a deal! Too bad they didn't have that a few months back!
That is awesome!
It is not Similac Advance, but Similac with Iron (the stuff my babies were raised on after nursing). I'm sure they are wanting to clear out to make way for the "new" stuff, but the stuff I picked up doesn't expire til 01/2010!
I'm in! Call me, I'll talk to you tonight at the funeral/visitation maybe? Nothing steals my heart like pregnant mothers ministries.
We'll be there as soon as we can, Melissa!
What a great post! It is so neat to see God cares about even the "little things" :)
Post a Comment