Here it goes...I'm not a "garage-saler" or a "thrift shopper", but I do love a great bargain. About once a year, I'll decide to get out the newspaper, plan a route, and hit the yard sales. I'm always so proud of myself when I drag everyone out of bed early and throw them in the van (in their jammies, of course) with a promise of a fast-food breakfast and maybe a cheap toy, if I happen to find one.
The big day for 2009 was about two weeks ago. The ads looked good, and several of them were within a comfortable distance of each other, making for a nice, easy route. I'm really bad at this. My tendency is to drive by a sale, check things out from the car (while driving and dodging customers), and if I don't see anything promising, head on to the next location on the route.
A true deal-finder knows that this isn't the way to do it, but that's why I only do it once a year...I'm not good at it! Back to my story...as I drove by my very first stop, I gave in to the urge to "window shop"...from my van. I couldn't really see what was in the garage, but the driveway didn't look too thrilling, so off I went...to the next address on my little route. Nothing there, either. I did have this urge, though, that I should go back by the first address before leaving the neighborhood. I had nothing to lose, and the kids were being good.
To my surprise, the garage was a treasure chest! You have to understand the value of Longaberger Pottery (and my love of it) to realize the deal here:
4 piece canister set (never seen it for less than $300 or $400 - even on ebay)
3 piece mixing bowl set
large turkey platter (absolutely huge)
meat platter
small pitcher
cream and sugar set
salt and pepper set
spoon rest
candlestick set (2)
votive candle set (2)
oval vegetable bowl
large loaf pan
gravy boat
2 qt covered casserole dish
cookie jar (beautiful)
tea kettle (beautiful)
medium mixing bowl
toothpick holder
Most of these items are retired, and are in mint condition.
My grand total...$300!!! There are a few little items that I really didn't want, so I will sell them on ebay, and hopefully come close to paying for the whole lot! The kind lady who sold them to me really just didn't want to fool with it, and was happy to have someone take it off of her hands!
I have been looking at the canisters (they are in Heritage Green - my mom's color) for a couple of years, wanting to get them for mom but never being willing to pay ebay's prices...I snagged them for $75. Wow. I have kind of had the urge to pop in on a garage sale or two since, but figure I would probably be disappointed after hitting the jackpot!
3 comments:
Oh my goodness...that's awesome! A true "rare find" though for sure! You should total up the current value and make yourself feel even better about your your bargains!!! That'd make me want to give that lady my phone number if she ever had another sale! Ha!
Wow Stephanie! That IS the deal of the season! Glad for you.
Mom told me about this sale!! Fun times and worth the trip back! :)
Post a Comment