Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Freedom Concert 2009

I love it when an unexpected opportunity comes along, and Friday, August 28th, was one of those times! Our friends, Tom & Connie (ok...Connie gets the glory here), won tickets to Sean Hannity's Freedom Concert at King's Island. I had wanted to get tickets for Greg's birthday, but since it was a Friday night concert during the schoolyear, I didn't figure I could justify the $75 per ticket admission. I also didn't want to plan something 3 months in advance, just in case something else might come up. When Connie called the day before the concert and offered us tickets, we decided we would do whatever it took to make it happen! Fortunately, a babysitter (thanks Jenn!) was available, and we hit the road. Our kids were mad and totally jealous that we would be going to King's Island without them, so I promised I wouldn't ride any rides hoping that would make them feel better. :) As soon as we were in the gate, Greg wanted Tom to ride some wicked roller coaster with him...I can't think of the name of it now, but he and Adam had ridden it over and over last time we were there, and it was quite a rush for an "old man"...haha. Anyway, I don't think Tom was totally thrilled about it, but being the macho kind of dude that he is (I hope he doesn't read this!), he consented. After a short 30 minute wait, they boarded the ride...or tried. Greg couldn't get the shoulder harness to snap into place, and was tugging on it to try to make it work. An employee came over and said, "Come with me." Greg thought it was a little wierd, but followed the guy over to where they measured him and gave the verdict "Too tall." Go figure. Greg was bummed, and Tom rode alone. I think Tom was lamenting the fact that he had ingested some greasy burgers and a Starbucks before the ride...his face was white as a sheet for the next 2 hours! The park closed about 15 minutes before the concert was over, but the lines to leave the parking lot were so long that we decided to go back in and have some Skyline. Fortunately, they kept the light on for a few minutes longer and we were able to eat and visit for awhile.
So, with 4 hours travel time and a 3 hour concert, it was a very full, very fun evening. Thanks, Tom & Connie!



He's a great American!




Lee Greenwood...


I have to put this pic in here because the security guard was being a jerk and had to be asked twice to move (by another guard and then his boss) so that we could see...he's now an "international figure"...hahaha!


A comedian (can't remember his name) who did some great impersonations of American icons...


I wasn't expecting much from the Charlie Daniel's Band, but they were incredible musicians! Charlie's getting up there, but he can still fiddle and sing like nobody's business!






Actor Jon Voight (Angelina Jolie's dad - now there's a contrast!) gave an incredible speech about America...


I've always had a huge appreciation for Michael W. Smith's music as well as his life and character. He is one person that can get on a stage with only a keyboard and a mic and entertain for hours! It was beautiful to hear him sing "Above All", and to feel a hush settle over the crowd as he lifted the name of Christ. He also did "Friends Are Friends Forever", "My Dad" - written just a few days previous for his father, who was in the crowd, "Amazing Grace" - per Sean's request, and "There She Stands" - written at the request of George W. Bush after 9-11. You can follow the You Tube link in the following post to see that song. Smith is has a passion for God and America that I find inspiring.




Col. Oliver North...what a man...


I never dreamed that I would hear "Achy Breaky Heart" live by the original artist...it's so 20 years ago, you know? And I never really could stand good ole Billy Ray anyway, but he was there, and it was funny and interesting to watch him perform.

Sean having a good time with Billy Ray Cyrus...






Next time we go to an event like this, I'll have to remember to take my good camera. These photos don't do justice, but I didn't want to have to carry a bunch of extra stuff.
A couple of highlights were when Sean had the family of a deployed female soldier come on stage. They didn't realize it, but he had arranged for the soldier to be there via live feed. We were all able to see her and give our thanks, and she was able to talk with her mom and siblings...very touching.
Also, he had a young mom and her little boy (about 4 yrs old) come to the stage while Billy Ray sang "Some Gave All". The husband and father was killed in Iraq 4 years ago, possibly while the mother was still expecting. The proceeds from the Freedom Concerts go to scholarship funds for children whose fathers have been killed in the line of duty, so one day hopefully this little guy will have help with college thanks to Sean's efforts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the comedian's name Rich Little?

Greg & Stephanie said...

That's him! I hadn't heard of him (too young, I guess :)

Greg & Stephanie said...

...and who are you, anyway?

Tamra said...

VERY cool! Glad you got to attend!