We had a great time eating at the Homestead restaurant, sitting around the campfire, riding bikes (hadn't done that in way too long!), and simply relaxing. There was nothing sophisticated about the weekend, let me tell ya...hillbilly all the way! On Sunday morning, we attended the little, old United Methodist church there on the farm. That night we attended a "fundamental, Bible-believing, old-fashioned"-their words, not mine- Baptist church in Berne...I'll count that as my most awkward church visit ever, but I'll save that for another post!
Lil' Miss Housekeeper...she loved being in the camper...
Dad and Greg repairing and redecorating Daniel Douglas's cross...
Enjoying riding in the back of daddy's truck...
We were able to watch barrel races for awhile...only one man bit the dust...fortunately his horse wasn't hurt. It was amazing to see how young some of the riders were!
Holding the gate while the tractor smoothed the corral...
Eric brought his two puppies...
We were surprised to look at the neighboring campsite and see my elementary piano teacher and her husband! Mrs. Stokes began giving me lessons when I was five, and I think I was with her until I was fourteen or fifteen. I was so young when I figured out that if she played my songs for me I could play them right back to her, and for a short time used that to get out of sightreading! It didn't take her too long to realize what I was up to! I'm so thankful for her guidance and instruction through those years...piano is a fav of mine!

We visited the farm of an Amish family (the man led the crew who built my grandma's apartment on mom and dad's house), and the guys enjoyed laughing and having a good time with the men who were gathered to work that day. Mom and I kind of sat waiting in the truck, not sure what to do. The lady came out and invited us into the house, but since we dropped by unexpectedly, we decided to wait in the truck. She talked with us for awhile while we waited on the guys. Evan was traipsing around the barns getting you-know-what all over his shoes, and Kaitlynn immediately wanted to get out of the truck and into a buggy full of boys and girls her age and maybe a little younger. I honestly don't know what she expected...she has always had a fascination with the Amish, and always wanted to be one. This Amish settlement is a much poorer one than the ones around the Eastern Ohio area, and we were amazed by the "ghetto" look that graced most of the farms. There were very few well-kept homes, which was kind of disappointing. Evidently, she hadn't thought too much of it up to that point. When she got up into the other buggy, the kiddos moved quickly away from her and stared like she was an alien! She was talking to them, and they wouldn't say a word. Their clothing was torn and they were filthy, and I think she had a hard time figuring out where to go with it. After awhile, she got back into the truck. She said, "I don't want to be Amish." She also said, "I asked those kids if they like havin' horse poop all over their yard, and they didn't answer me!" I'm still wondering what those poor kids thought and what they told their parents! I so wanted a pic of her and those kids in the buggy, but respecting Amish tradition, I refrained...
We were able to watch barrel races for awhile...only one man bit the dust...fortunately his horse wasn't hurt. It was amazing to see how young some of the riders were!
Holding the gate while the tractor smoothed the corral...
Eric brought his two puppies...
We were surprised to look at the neighboring campsite and see my elementary piano teacher and her husband! Mrs. Stokes began giving me lessons when I was five, and I think I was with her until I was fourteen or fifteen. I was so young when I figured out that if she played my songs for me I could play them right back to her, and for a short time used that to get out of sightreading! It didn't take her too long to realize what I was up to! I'm so thankful for her guidance and instruction through those years...piano is a fav of mine!
We visited the farm of an Amish family (the man led the crew who built my grandma's apartment on mom and dad's house), and the guys enjoyed laughing and having a good time with the men who were gathered to work that day. Mom and I kind of sat waiting in the truck, not sure what to do. The lady came out and invited us into the house, but since we dropped by unexpectedly, we decided to wait in the truck. She talked with us for awhile while we waited on the guys. Evan was traipsing around the barns getting you-know-what all over his shoes, and Kaitlynn immediately wanted to get out of the truck and into a buggy full of boys and girls her age and maybe a little younger. I honestly don't know what she expected...she has always had a fascination with the Amish, and always wanted to be one. This Amish settlement is a much poorer one than the ones around the Eastern Ohio area, and we were amazed by the "ghetto" look that graced most of the farms. There were very few well-kept homes, which was kind of disappointing. Evidently, she hadn't thought too much of it up to that point. When she got up into the other buggy, the kiddos moved quickly away from her and stared like she was an alien! She was talking to them, and they wouldn't say a word. Their clothing was torn and they were filthy, and I think she had a hard time figuring out where to go with it. After awhile, she got back into the truck. She said, "I don't want to be Amish." She also said, "I asked those kids if they like havin' horse poop all over their yard, and they didn't answer me!" I'm still wondering what those poor kids thought and what they told their parents! I so wanted a pic of her and those kids in the buggy, but respecting Amish tradition, I refrained...
No comments:
Post a Comment