Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Or So We Thought...

Allison decided she didn't want to be left out of the loop...Monday evening she came down with a very high temp (over 103). Her symptoms mimicked Kaitlynn's, so we pretty much knew what to expect. Greg called the dr. on Tuesday, and they scheduled her for Wednesday afternoon. Tuesday evening her fever flared again, and the evening and night were very difficult for her, and a little scary for us. I called the dr. first thing this morning, and they scheduled her in quickly. She has acute bronchitis and tonsillitis. We haven't had to deal with breathing treatments for 7 or 8 years, and it's not something I'm looking forward to. Ryan was only a few months old when he would sit and hold his own little mask and endure those treatments with a smile...Allison doesn't have the same easy going approach to anything medical. :)
Her dr. appt. was tolerable enough, I guess. She cried, and when the dr. came in Alli looked at her and said, "I want my paper." Dr. Sampson was a little puzzled (as well as amazed that she was only 26 months old) until I explained. Kaitlynn was upset about her own dr. visit earlier in the week, and I calmed her by telling her that we had to go because we needed the "paper" (prescription) to be able to get the meds that would make her better. She was fine with that, and evidently Alli picked up on that as her only valid reason to go to the dr! Through her tears, she insisted on having her paper, and said a forceful, "Thank you!" when the nurse brought all three of them in. Alli didn't realize that she would be getting a shot of antibiotic in each thigh, but she held tightly to her papers through the pain and the tears, and we hit the road as quickly as we could. She clutched her papers as she finally fell asleep in the van. I took them while she was sleeping, and with any luck she won't remember enough to ask for them again...otherwise she'll have to fight WalMart pharmacy for them.
So, now that half of our household is on antibiotics (somebody must have something against women), here's to a better rest-of-the-week!

2 comments:

Leah said...

I'm hoping spring weather will send this sickness thing far away from you. I'm not sure why I keep telling myself that Spring is actually close, but it's comforting none the less :) Cute store about Allison's papers!

Andrea said...

I hope you are all feeling well soon. I about cried reading about Allison's drs. visit. :(