Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Adventure Begins!

There are Valentine posts to be written, but our biggest excitement of the week is to be able to send Ryan off to the islands of Dominica and Antigua for 12 days!  As his momma, I have never flown or been out of the U.S. except to Canada.  Packing and preparing him was a bit of an adventure for me, as well! I'm guessing that since 9/11 things have tightened considerably, and so I have learned a bit about what/what not to pack, how to pack, and which bag to pack it in!
Last evening, Ryan and my parents left for Indianapolis.  Ryan said he had 3 hours sleep...the had to catch their shuttle to the airport at 5:30 this morning.  I talked to him as he was sitting on the big jet...in the back, over the engines.  He is amazed.  :-)  He flew over Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma to land in Dallas at about 10 a.m.  He is in the middle of a layover right now, but they board again in a couple of hours headed for Puerto Rico.  After another layover, they will move on to Antigua to spend the night tonight, and awaken early tomorrow morning (5:30) for their last flight to Dominica where they will spend a week.



Good until 2017...wonder how many stamps
it will have by then?  :-)

He chose Western Sizzlin' for a hearty supper before leaving
for Indy.  Probably won't see that much food in Dominica!

Bags packed...ready to go!

Sayin' goodbye to dad...

Baby sis...

And little bro...
 We will be a little anxious while Ryan is away, but he was totally ready to do this and it seems to be the right time.  We are praying that God will use this trip to fertilize the seed of openness to the will of God in Ryan's heart.  Of all the desires that we could have for our kids, their obedience to God is at the top of the list.  So...if you think of it, breathe a prayer for him over the next couple of weeks!

2 comments:

Adam & Val & Aubrey & Annie said...

I LOVE this. And, it makes Aunt Val's eyes water. So proud of Ryan (and you!) right now. I know he is having the time of his life and learning and seeing things that will forever change his life.

The Dickinsons said...

Praying for him...and Y'ALL...from Argentina! =) (I do these trips all the time...but I can't imagine sending my kid alone on one! You are one brave Mommy!

This will be a great experience for him!

Love ya,
~Heather~