Monday, May 20, 2013

It WAS a beautiful day...

On May 8th, Greg and I set out for a quick overnight trip to Adrian, MI.  He was visiting Adrian College, and I was along for the ride.  The weather was perfect, and we had a leisurely trip to Perrysburg where we spent the night.  On Thursday morning, we made it to the college around 9:30,  and were preparing to head in separate directions for the next couple of hours. 
Green grass, blue skies...
and a cracked sidewalk.  If you expand this picture and follow
the walk to the last hanging planter, you'll see where it, er, I went
down...lol.  :-)
This was the last photo I took.  Such a pretty campus.

By 10:45 I was laying in the local E.R. with a trimalleolar fracture.
In other words, three breaks and a dislocated bone.
Apparently, there was a large downward crack in the sidewalk and my toes went down causing all my weight to come down on the top of my right foot.  That sort of blew everything apart above the ankle.  I heard it break and knew that there was no getting up.  Within just a couple of minutes, the sports medicine people from the college were hovering over me, and the ambulance was soon to follow.  Sometime around noon, I finally earned a dose of morphine, and the x-rays proved what they were all assuming.  This was going to require surgery.  The next question was whether to stay there or come back home.  I'm extremely fortunate in that Greg delivers to the Orthopedic Institute of Ohio five days a week, and knows quite a few employees and several of the doctors.  Within minutes (and to the amazement of the dr in MI), he had the cell number of the foot surgeon, and he wanted to see me asap.  We decided to transport ourselves, and felt that it was a good decision.  Within 30 minutes of the two hour trip, however, the morphine had worn off and I thought I was gonna die.  They had wrapped my foot tightly, but all the muscles were displaced and everything was just a mess.  Besides the break, my toes had the feeling of being on fire.  I moaned and cried while my poor husband drove 80 mph and watched for cops.  We were pre-admitted to the local hospital here, and thought that it would be a painless process once we arrived.  Long story short, they weren't able to find me in the system, doctor's orders supposedly weren't there, and it was another 90 minutes after arriving at our hospital before they could give me another dose of morphine.  They finally got it together, and I was taken for a CT scan to determine whether there were any other pieces of bone floating around.  From the scan, I was taken directly to surgery.  So...injury at 10:15 a.m., surgery 8:30 p.m.  Longest day ever.  The last thing I remember after going into the o.r. was, through my tears, thanking all the people that were in the room for being there late at night when I knew they all had a life, too.  They were like, "Oh, it's ok, honey.  That's what we're here for..."  They were probably dying laughing on the inside.  It just felt to me like they all dropped what they were doing and came in late to save me from torture...lol.

Really?  LOL

Our hospital has the best food ever.  :-)  Seriously, we've
gone to their cafeteria for dinner when we weren't even in
the hospital!

Back home by Saturday evening.
I'm definitely not used to room service.

Wearing this cast for 2 weeks.
After that, will have stitches removed
and a hard cast placed for another 4 weeks.


Mother's Day 2013

Through the last week and a half, we've made lots of adjustments.  I'm so thankful for my family, and especially for my amazing husband.  He shows his love every day and in many ways, but a situation like this really exposes someone's character.  He is living the "for better or for worse" part of his pledge to me, and I'm grateful to have the unconditional love of a good man.  

3 comments:

Adam & Val & Aubrey & Annie said...

So Annie and I were looking through this blog post and she saw the picture of your foot and said, "is that Hephanie's foot?" :)

Brenda said...

Addy was looking at this post with me and when she saw your foot wrapped up she said, "Look Mom, a cactus!" :-)

Anonymous said...

Boy, Stephanie, not a good trip. take care, love, aunt donna