Last summer, while working 3rd shift at a local nursing home, I saw several news reports pertaining to a man who was on the FBI's Most Wanted list. What startled me was to look at the pictures of masses of women and children who looked like they could have been attending GBS campmeeting in the late '80's or early 90's, who were followers of this man. Only gathering bits and pieces of the stories, I realized that this wanted person was the head of a "mormon" group which practiced polygamy and a horrid doctrine. This so interested me, especially with all of the group wearing a modest garb which was so familiar to me (even the ladies hairstyles were synonymous with those of conservative holiness groups - it was unbelievable). I kind of put it on the back burner of my mind, and did no further research...until this week. In my Multicultural Issues class I am required to write a term paper about a cultural issue. My professor ok'd the subject of polygamy in the Mormon Church, so I began to research. I found that this issue of which I saw reports actually is not associated with the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints, but a branch group called Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints. It is headed by the FBI's wanted guy, Warren Steed, who has since been caught and jailed in (no joke) Purgatory, Utah on charges of child rape. When the "Mormons" outlawed polygamy in 1890 (basically so Utah could be recognized as a state) not all were happy with the decision. The group kind of split and this FLDS was one of the off-shoots. The group, like others, has a prophet, and all must obey his bizarre bidding. When Warren Steed' father died in 2002, Warren became the "prophet". Most of the groups 10,000 members now live in Hildale, Utah and Colorado City, Arizona. It looks like they are now trying to relocate to Texas, and are facing some obstacles. Namely, people don't want this stuff going onn in their neighborhood. This subject might not interest any of you the way it has me, but I wanted to share just in case. I feel deep pain for the many young girls (barely into childbearing age) who are married off to men 20-30 years their senior, and become his 6th or 7th wife. These child-brides have no choice in the matter, and I don't have time or space here to go into the details of what all is happening. Although polygamy is clearly against the law, enforcement is not happening because of the severe overflow it would cause the social service agencies (having to support the hundreds of children and mothers who would be left without a husband). I have multiple websites and news reports to make sense of this huge mess, and I think I have it figured out, but I found one link of extreme interest. The man whose testimony is given there came from the FLDS group when it was headed by Warren Steed's father, who died in 2002. If you have a few minutes, read his testimony. Don't stop before you reach the end. If you believe in the power of a loving God, it will bless you completely! At the end of the testimony there is a family picture of the man, his wife, and their son. I do not understand their use of jewelry (especially in both of the boys ears) because they don't look like "punky" people. Anyway, his testimony rings true...no doubt about it! Let me know your thoughts...
I am also wondering why we are so worried about catching child predators, etc., but not worried about saving innocent American children from these FLDS creeps. Hmmm...Here is the link.
http://www.geocities.com/plygkid/
5 comments:
Interesting that you blogged about this. I read an article just today about polygamy fueling a rare genetic disorder in Arizona. From the same inbreeding sect of people you are referring to I believe. How sad! Here's the link if you would like to read the article. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19232005/?GT1=10056
You might have already researched this aspect of the cult also, but if not, I think you will find it interesting. I really do feel sorry for those young girls and the mentally retarded children that are being born because of their lifestyle.
Tamra,
I hadn't read about this yet. That will definitely add a different aspect to my research. I'm sure I'll have difficulty limiting the paper to 15 pages! Thanks for the info.
Dr. Phil actually did a show a year or so ago on a couple of girls who had run away from Warren Steed's group.
Don't know if you could order a copy of the show or not, but it was very enlightening.
Whew! That was enlightening and heart-breaking! I hurt for all of those innocent children!
Wow! So sad. Thanks for sharing. Let's pray for these folks.
Post a Comment