Monday, July 2, 2007

An Impromptu Evening with EH&SSQ

A quiet moment
Adam and Valerie with Gordon - sort of
(actually, they ran his product table)
Rachel and Kendall worked SSQ table w/us
Ryan and Evan w/Ernie
Ryan and Evan w/Ryan
Ryan and Evan w/Doug and ?
(told you I'm not really a fan..can't even remember the guy's name!)
Every now and then, our local Christian radio station will call us for help at the concerts which they promote. June 14, 2007, Ernie Haase and SSQ were scheduled to be here with a nearly sold out Civic Center. Sometime during the day of the concert, the crew who were supposed to work the product tables called to say they couldn't make it. Rather quickly, we gathered some friends and made our way downtown to work the tables. Now, I have to say, I wasn't planning to attend the $17.50 per ticket concert. I love the energy and the sound of this particular group (especially when I can't hear Ernie - never been a fan there), but I guess I have to say that I prefer men to look and act like men. Some may disagree with me here, but they aren't particularly the type I would choose for role models for my sons. Enough said. Anyway, the really good thing about this is that since SS's pianist went off the road this month, Bill Gaither loaned them Gordon Mote (http://www.gordonmote.com/) who has to be my favorite pianist. I would be thrilled to attend a concert with all Mote, but that rarely happens in this neck of the woods, and since I don't frequent Gaither sings much anymore, my chances of ever seeing him were becoming pretty slim. I was thrilled that he was at this particular concert, we had free tickets plus a few little perks, and the boys were able to go free as well. We did not attend the 2nd half of the concert, but sat in the lobby waiting for the rush of people who would be wanting autographs and product. Evidently, during the 2nd half, a bat flew into the auditorium and swooped around a few times before heading for the lobby. I was scared, of course, when he started whooshing around the product tables. I was really wondering what this would do for sales in the following few minutes! Greg happened to have a heavy, cotton long-sleeved shirt laying over the railing (they wanted us to all wear matching EH&SS t-shirts during sales), and he used that shirt to knock the bat out of the air and against the wall. He hit it again when it dropped to the floor, and just as it "came to" he put it into an empty box, taped it shut, and threw it into the garbage. A few minutes later, out came the crowd and all the grannys and teen girls were able to hug Ernie -- bat free.

2 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Stephanie,
I found your blog through Leanna Pitcher's. This story is a classic about that bat. I would have loved to have seen your husband hitting it out of the air with a shirt, getting it in a box etc. Gives new meaning to, "What can brown do for you?" Enjoyed reading your stories.
Jonathan Walden

Nancy said...

I sure enjoyed reading all this...you are so hilarious. the bat story is too funny. That was a neat opportunity to run the booths, though. Do you all EVER have a dull moment???