If you are not interested in the detail of our little trip to my graduation, don't feel obligated to read this wordy post! My brother, sister, and a couple of others may be interested...this is for them...
I was way too tired to post last night, but we did arrive in Lynchburg around 2:30 yesterday afternoon. After leaving home Wednesday evening, we drove as far as we could keep our eyelids propped, which happened to be Charleston, WV. Due to a tennis tournament in town, the best we could do was a remodeled but very dirty Red Roof Inn...wasn't too bad considering we only slept for about 6 hrs. and 45 min. then hopped up ready to begin the last leg of the trip. Our sleeping arrangements were interesting...double beds...Greg, Kaitlynn, and Evan in one...Ryan, Allison, and I in the other...hmmm. I would love to start a "family friendly" hotel chain...not the ones like the "business" hotels are trying to become (goldfish crackers for the kids, etc.), just plenty of snooze space for a family of 6! Anyway, after a great breakfast at Bob Evans, we set off for LU. The kids did pretty well, but were very anxious to spot the huge monogram on Liberty Mountain. When it came into view, there was more than a little excitement in the van! Our first stop was to visit Dr. Falwell's grave site and tour the "Carter Glass Mansion" which housed his office...it was just recently opened to the public. I happened to get into his office (without my camera, of course) and by the time I came back through with Greg, the kids, and the camera, the door was locked. Not sure why, but we'll try again tomorrow. With graduation, maybe they'll have it open for tours.
After driving the kids all over campus, we went to Red Lobster where we met mom and dad (they arrived just a few minutes after we did, flying in from Dayton with a layover in Washington D.C.) for a delicious meal. Next we hit their huge Value City, which is in the mall that can be seen from campus. It is definitely the most organized, awesome Value City I have ever been in, and I was able to pick up some more of my favorite candles.
One of the things we wanted to do was to eat at Doc's Diner, which opened about 6 weeks ago. Thursday was the final day of business until August, so we swung by for some dessert. It was packed with students and families, and since it was the final evening of business, many of the food items were unavailable. I won't say much, just that there was a huge hair in my brownie...they didn't get the hot fudge to us until we were about finished with the "hot fudge brownie sundae" that three of us had ordered...they brought the kids drinks out just a few minutes before we finished...etc. I was a little disappointed, but I think things will get better in the fall. Probably just a bad server and a chaotic night overall. The setting was great, as Dr. Falwell loved good food, and his family chose his favorites to highlight at the diner. His many red neckties hung in picture frames here and there, etc.It was interesting.
We checked into the Comfort Inn soon after, where we found several LU DLP students sitting around with laptops finishing those final assignments...it was cute...glad it wasn't me!
Fortunately our rooms are very large, actually a suite. Nice for relaxation with a family of 6. It helps tremendously that mom and dad have another just like it next door!
Today we had breakfast here...the freebie, you know. On the way back up to Lynchburg we made a stop at WalMart (always have to do that, ya know) where, to our surprise, we saw Harold Taylor. He is also graduating. Many moons ago...literally...I carpooled to 1st grade with his wife, Judy Kay Yancey, and her brothers.
Brenda Herring (my sister-in-law Jana's sister) is also graduating, so we were able to meet up and sit together at graduation practice. After practice, Greg and I went to the campus bookstore for a little while, then met mom, dad, and the oldest 3 at Kid's Cove (an incredible indoor jungle at the church) to attend the Distance Learning Graduates Reception. The reception was beautifully decorated, and the "light" refreshments were delicious. I ran into an acquaintance, Julie Hudson, who is also graduating. We talked with she and her husband for a few minutes. As we were preparing to leave, I noticed that Mr. Jerry Falwell, Jr. (Chancellor) and his wife had come in. I wanted to thank them for the gift that his father had given us as ACE teachers, but he was tied up talking to several others, so I spoke with his wife for a couple of minutes.
After a late lunch at Chik-fil-a, it was back to the hotel to get ready for baccalaureate. The service was first class, as usual. Dr. Tim LaHaye did an excellent job speaking to the graduates, and we were out within an hour. Macel Falwell's new book was on sale tonight, so I picked up a couple of copies. They will hit bookstores next week, at a slightly higher price, so I took advantage of the opportunity for some "lighter" reading, now that I actually may have time to do some!
I made another quick stop at WalMart (why is one never enough?) to get trunks for the boys (yes, they went swimming at 68 degrees) and some food for Allison. Then it was off to Coldstone Creamery and Starbucks. Delicious as always.
Now it is 11:48, my hair is soaking wet, and I need to be taking care of that before climbing into bed for a few hours. I have to be on the soccer field at 7:30, as the processional begins at 8:30, 1st graduation ceremony at 9:30, and 2nd one at around 10:45. It's going to be a long morning, but I am looking forward to getting this milestone behind me! Pics forthcoming...
7 comments:
Congratulations Stephanie!! The thought that I will have to start treading those M.A. waters possibly within the next decade makes me almost tremble. What an accomplishment!!
I am proud of what you have done. May God bless you as you serve Him and others from your training.
YAAYYYYY!! Happy, happy day.....you DID it! We are sooo proud of you and wish you the best! Congratulations on a job well done!!
Thanks for the detail. Glad all went well for you. I'm very proud of you - in a little sister sort of way! I'm looking forward to the pictures of your trip. Love you!
I'm so happy for you, Stephanie!!
I am completely in awe.
And poppin' babies out all along the way....Amazing.
Congratulations doesn't even touch it. You deserve lots of chocolate and a trip to somewhere exotic to sleep on soft white sheets for a week with the sound of the ocean coming through the balcony doors.
(can i come?)
Stephanie, Wow girl!! Congratulation to you - and to your hubby for sticking it out with you. I'll be anxious to see pictures.
I'd like to tag along on that ocean, soft white sheets stuff too ... Maybe in Heaven someday, right?!
Love,
Angie
Post a Comment