When they went into the nursing facility, Jack made sure the nurses had their beds put together, because they always fell asleep holding hands. Their love kept them strong, even in those final, waning years. Jack slipped away to be with Jesus in 2000, just eleven or so days after we had his 5 generation picture with Ryan. I'm glad we were able to have that moment. From that time, Clella kept him in her heart, often asking, "Where's Jack?" It is amazing how that when part of a person is missing, even in an altered mental state, one continues to feel that loss. Our last trip to see Clella was in January of 2008. We had planned to go out this spring, but that trip has now been moved up to this week.
I am so thankful that Greg, myself, and the children have taken the opportunity to remain close to all the great grandparents, great aunts and uncles, and those closer in the family tree. One's history is so important...I often wonder if my kid's grandchildren will visit my home, hold my hand when I am ill, attend my funeral...it probably sounds really odd, but those things are important to me. It is critical that our kids understand their heritage, and that they learn how to grieve and understand death as a means to an end, rather than the end.
So, this will be a busy week, to say the least, but I'm glad that Grandma Brown is through the pain and suffering that her body had to endure...it's all over...she's Home at last!
Final "5 Generation" picture...
Kaitlynn enjoyed taking Great-great-grandma back to the dining room...
The most special time of any visit was prayer and hymn singing. Some of her favorites were "Amazing Grace" and "The Family of God"...she always carried a great tune in a clear, strong voice...
Great Grandma (97) with Allison (2 mos.)...
Grandma...your life was such an inspiration to me...even when times were bad and you were feeling rough, you always managed a weak smile and some sarcasm which made us all laugh. You spent many years with the love of your life, and were lost without him, often asking, "Where's Jack?" When I heard that you had taken your last earthly breath, my eyes filled with tears...not because your suffering was over and you were leaving this life, but because I could picture your smiling face and "new" body running with outstretched arms toward "Jack" whom you have so missed for the last 9 years. Thanks for the memories...we'll see you when we get there!
5 comments:
I am glad you have great memories of your great grandma and pictures, too. I am thankful for cameras, especially digital, so I can capture special moments for my girls, other family members, & myself. :) I have a four generation picture with my dad's mom and a four generation with Jeff's grandma.
Steph, I couldn't have spoke it better. I have been pondering these last 2 days whether to post on Gma's passing or not. But you have said exactly what I was thinking. She has left such a legacy to our families. What an amazing gift. Much rejoicing in heaven this week Im sure!
What a wonderful tribute to your great grandmother! So glad you have wonderful memories. I sit here reading your post with tear-filled eyes. I am once again reminded of how blessed we were that my mom suffered only a short time with Alzheimer's. And that though we expected my father to go first as he was struggling with pulmonary fibrosis, God saw fit to take my mother before him - quite unexpectedly - and she didn't have to live years without him. We knew that would be the hardest part b/c she leaned heavily upon him even in her last weeks when she didn't know who he was.
I love your attitude about death...that it is a means to an end, not THE end!
Thanks for posting that, Stephanie. I wish so badly that I could be there to celebrate her homegoing with you all. I, too, had tears in my eyes as I thought about her passing. She was a great lady. Wish I could have gotten that 5 generation picture...
Great posting, Stephanie! I too care very deeply about my heriatge adn try to pass that on to my kids. I am sad though, that all my grandparents are now in heaven. My kids don't remember any of them except my one grandpa. However, I hope to keep their memories alive by talking about them adn the depth of their beliefs.We are truly blessed to have so rich a heritage.
Post a Comment