Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's Wednesday...

...and it feels like it! :) The rain is falling, creeks are rising, mud is accumulating, and I'm sure many basements are flooding. This is about the only part of winter I could do without. Give us another day or two, though, and the snow is supposed to fall again.
I don't know about you, but there are times in my life where I become very overwhelmed. The result of the flurry of preparing five to leave the house for the day is comparable to that of a tornado in a trailer park...literally. As I make the 6 minute commute to school, I'm frustrated because of the mess I will surely face when I get home. The evenings never seem to be long enough to catch up (even though I have a very helpful and considerate husband), and I'm not the type of person who can survive on 5 hours of sleep each night, so there is a point where I have to forget it and go to bed. When I open my eyes the next morning, the cycle resumes. Does this sound familiar to you? Although I know I really wouldn't want to do it, I sometimes envy those who send half or all of their kids off to school for the day...I can't even imagine having that time to do the necessary tasks!
But...I quickly remember that I have a privilege that many either legitimately can't have, or because of their lifestyle choose not to: I have my kids with me 24/7. I haven't had to miss any of their "firsts". Just a few minutes ago, Evan came bounding across the threshold of the door that separates my classroom from his. In his hand he held a little speck of white, and he sported a very toothless grin...I was there! Granted, he's losing his baby teeth a little later than most, but the two top front are now gone, and he's making some fast cash. :)
Every day it seems we are confronted with the news of yet another grieving friend. Job losses, little ones with cancerous conditions, sudden deaths, and the list goes on. I am reminded that, at least for the moment, we have been spared these circumstances. And, even if God allows tragedy to come, we are still blessed.
So, it's Wednesday, and if nothing else, this post has made me feel better!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Beautiful post!! I agree 100%!! I love having my boys with me 24/7. I feel so blessed to be able to homeschool and stay at home with them!! On these "Wednesday's" in our lives, I say let us be reminded how blessed we are! If that doesn't work, grab a Dr. Pepper and a bag of chips!! haha

Greg & Stephanie said...

I was thinking a Dr. Pepper and a soft taco surpreme!!! :) Miss ya!

Beth Stetler said...

I, too, taught full-time while raising a family, and although it was crazy, stressful, and hectic, it was a privilege and blessing to have my kids with me at school/and be with them at school. It did get easier, as they grew older and were able to help out more at home and do more for themselves. I always wanted to ONE TIME drive through the school parking lot, drop off the kids, and go home. I can NOT imagine! :-)

Anonymous said...

It seems so funny that my daughter is now expressing the feelings/frustrations/blessings that I experienced when you were growing up and I was teaching at PCS. I will never forget the harried mornings, the feeling of "not having a handle on the housework", plus the list could go on and on since I was the "pastor's wife" and worked a side job at times also. Your plate is heaping full, but you are blessed to be able to be with your children, and eternity will reveal the reward for any seeming sacrifices that you are making. We thank God every day for you and the blessing that you are to our family and to the ministry. Take heart! You are loved!
Mom