Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How fun to be with some of the "Nichols" cousins again!!! (l to r: Melissa, Steph, Chris, and Eric)...

Sorry for the lengthy lapse in blogging! My ever-so-patient (ha!) friend, Crissie, has been filled with disappointment because of my negligence, so here it is. :)
Most of you know about the death of my great-grandmother, which occurred a couple of weeks ago. We had a really nice trip out to Illinois for her funeral. The only regret I have is that we weren't able to leave early enough to be there for the viewing. We would have been able to see so many more of our friends and family.
The funeral was a precious tribute to Grandmother Clella Brown. She looked absolutely beautiful in her casket...so at peace! My dad recalled many memories from Grandpa and Grandma's marriage, and gave a timely message entitled, "What Is Your Life?". Grandma Brown's pastor shared Scripture and humor, calling her service a "graduation party". That it was. Uncle Johnny sang "The Lighthouse" and "Going Home", and cousin Jonette sang "I Can Only Imagine". Congregationals included 2 of grandma's favorites, "Amazing Grace" and "The Family of God". Following the funeral, country roads took us to her final resting place, right beside her husband of 73 years. After the committal service, we were served a wonderful dinner at the Newton Free Methodist church.
As we approached Richmond, IN on our return trip last Saturday, we decided to detour down to Cincinnati and spend the night with Grandma Yount. She enjoyed the surprise, and we were able to see some "old" friends at Kenwood the next day, as well as spend some time with Aunt Sarah and Uncle Jerry before returning home. All in all, a wonderful weekend!

Little Allison, all bundled up...





My "sister", Sherry, and her husband Matt travelled over for the funeral...




Friday night we were able to go out with my cousin Chris, Mom and Dad, and Eric's family, for a late dinner. It was SO good to see Chris again! My, the memories we have! By the way, he is the Chief of Police in his town, so the stories were many!




Greg and Suzanna at the hotel...




Trying to get a pic...dad on the phone and kids doing their own thing...




Ryan at Grandma Yount's house...she lets them jump around in the down comforters...




Tired baby...




Eric, cousin Melissa, and Uncle Ron (dad's younger bro)...




Kait and Livvy playing with the phones mom bought them...




Part of the gang...




Patient Suzanna...



Uncle Greg having some "Livvy time"!


2 pretty gals, Meg and Suzanna...



Cozy Kait and Alli...nothing like Grandma Yount's beds!!!





Alli with Aunt Donna (dad's older brother's wife)...they had us over for a delicious Pizza Hut lunch on Saturday, and we had a great visit!





Poor Livvy cried so hard while saying goodbye...I so remember those days!




Love this little one to pieces! She's so sweet!




Kait and Livvy finally were able to wear their matching dresses...




My cousin Melissa, her hubby Ray, and their two adorable kiddos, Emily and A.J....
Chris, Uncle Jerry, Eric, and Uncle Ron...




Greg showing Melissa something very important (I'm sure - ha!)...



Uncle Ron and Grandma Nichols...




My dad's uncle (believe it or not!), Rick and Dina Brown...



Megan, Mom, and I...




Some of Grandma Brown's great and great-great grandchildren...




My dad's cousin (always seemed more like my cousin!) Jonette with her two kiddos...



My dad's Aunt Roberta (grandma's sister) and her husband, Uncle Johnny...
I have been blessed with a wonderful family. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am so thankful for the opportunity to have these relationships. Knowing both of my parent's aunts and uncles has added such a dimension to my life. Some of them have gone on to Heaven, and some remain with us, but all have touched me in a special way.


2 comments:

Blair Bunch said...

Great Post! Such great pictures! I saw Aunt Deena today and I told her I would send a note with Emy to school that has all the blog addresses on it! They will love the pics!

Andrea said...

Boy...oh boy...do I ever remember crying my eyes out, when I would have to leave you. :)