Thursday, May 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mama Yount!

At the mention of Proverbs 31, many women throw up defenses. I've heard comments ranging from, "Yeah, whatever," to "No one could live up to those expectations!" Although the Proverbs 31 woman is an incredible example, I'm thankful to say that I know some women who are there...they are that woman!
One of them is my Grandma Yount. Through her life, I have learned many valuable lessons that will eventually be passed down to my children. I can't even begin to describe the memories that we share. From my earliest recollections of the "huge" 3-story (plus full basement) house on Erie Avenue in Hyde Park, to the apartment on Josephine in the heart of Mt. Auburn, to the sprawling ranch on Arborcrest in Amberley Village, to her current, smaller home in Deer Park, the scenes of happiness and family warmth envelop my mind.
As a child, my favorite place was grandma's house. When I was in late childhood, grandma took me on several road trips back to the places of her childhood. We visited great aunts and uncles, distant cousins, and landmarks from the past. Grandma was always up for something fun and out of the ordinary. One time, when I was very young, she said, "Let's hop a city bus and go down to the river." This was back when "Riverfront Stadium" was a splendid sight. I had never ridden on a city bus, and thought it was so cool that my grandma, who was 51 years older than I, would hop a bus just so that I could have the experience.
Although grandma has experienced heartache (she lost the love of her life when he was just 56), she has become stronger and sweeter. Her beautiful spirit and shining example of Godliness is such a blessing to her family. She is still in the workforce, still takes road trips, still cooks up the best meals around, and still loves to be with the over 60 children, in-laws, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren who make the trip to her home at least once each year. I'm thankful to be able to share her birthday, but I'm even more thankful to share in the priceless memories that we have made together.

Baking with Kaitlynn...

Always embracing her great-grandchildren (last week she became a great-great grandma!)


Not the greatest pic of either of us, but the most recent I could find.

My grandma loves hats, and she loves to have fun!


Happy Birthday, Mama!




2 comments:

Verla said...

I have the greatest respect for your grandma Yount. In all the years that I have known her she has not changed. That is a jewel in itself. I call her Grandma and enjoy those hugs when she comes to Lima. Oh that there were more Mrs Younts in this world. With Grandma praying as she does this world would have a revival that we have never seen.
Happy Birthday "Grandma" I love you very much.

Verla said...

Happy Birthday Stephanie, How you keep up with everything in your life is beyond me. Your dedication to God and your family does not go unoticed. I am sure that there are times when you feel that you cannot go another step but with God's grace and your desire to do what God wants you to do you do it. Thanks for your kind attitude toward us older ones. It means a lot. Especially us that have to put up with your Dad.
Stepanie you have followed the teachings of your parents and it is being passed down to your children. Keep it up.
Happy Birthday Stephanie and many more.