Friday, May 15, 2009

Thursday's Excitement...


As I mentioned in an earlier post, we recently added a dog to the madness at our house. I'm not sure why...dogs don't like us. We lovingly feed, water, and house them, and then like ungrateful teenagers, they break the chain and venture off looking for freedom!

When we arrived home from school yesterday, Teagan was gone. I wasn't surprised...we're getting pretty used to this! Anyway, I knew Greg wasn't going to be home real soon (his work truck broke down before he arrived at his first stop that morning, he had to stop at the viewing for his boss's father on the way home), so I was going to send the boys out on their bikes for a what has become a tradition for us...a dog hunt.
About that time, our friend Jason pulled in with a dump truck containing 12 ton of gravel we had ordered for our driveway. We waited for him to empty it, then the kids headed off to ask neighbors if they had seen Teagan. I sent a text to our friend Charles (a cop), just asking if he had seen her.
A few minutes later, Charles was knocking on the door with a very sheepish look on his face. He said that the dog warden had been called, and a cop came out to get our dog. They took her down to the Wastewater Treatment Plant (just down from our house, remember?), where they were holding her. He said that we could come and get her without being fined (she didn't have tags yet), but that a cop had told the dog warden that she was part pit bull, and that we would have to follow all of the rules that apply to pits (a muzzle, kids can't walk her, higher insurance rate, etc.). I told him that she was a full-blooded Chesapeake Bay Retriever without papers, and he said that even if I did have papers all it takes is two cops to say that a dog is part something dangerous, and it applies (not sure how that works, but anyway...). I told him that Greg would be home soon, and we would deal with it then.

Greg came home around 4:30, and I told him what was up...remember, he had 12 ton of gravel to shovel into place, and also had to drive the bus for Good News Club in less than an hour...not to mention hauling tables for my garage sale, etc. :)

He decided to tear into the gravel first, since today was supposed to bring rain. As he was shoveling, Charles drove up and tried to explain the whole issue to him. I'm sure Greg's blood pressure had already reached toxic levels, and he told Charles he would be down in just a little bit to get the dog. He needed to drive the bus and finish the driveway.

Before he could do either, the dog warden pulled up, unloaded our dog from the cage in the back, explained that the dog had been ruled not part pit bull (duh), and charged us $35 for driving the dog 300 yards.

"I will bless the Lord at all times."





3 comments:

Adam & Val & Aubrey & Annie said...

AUGH! What a week!

tacomom said...

You definitely don't lack for excitement around your place, small town or not! lol!

Anonymous said...

Aw...I am sorry about your evening of events...just sorry it wasn't Sunshine:) How are you going to contain that dog????
Mom