After a very long day today, we are home and trying to make Kaitlynn comfortable. I didn't include details in the first post because I was in a hurry and using my phone. So, going back to last night...
The accident happened around 5, when all of the dentists are closed, and all I knew to do was take her to the ER. After sitting there for an hour and realizing that no one really knew what to do, I went to the desk to ask if we could leave and follow up with the dentist in the a.m. They said that would be fine, and that they would have a PA take a quick look.
The PA was kind, but there was nothing she could do, so she told us to head on out and not to stop at the desk. This meant that they weren't charging us anything. Whew. It wasn't like they had done anything helpful, but you know how it is with ER bills...
Kait's office called me at about 6:50 this a.m. and wanted us to be in there by 7:40. We left as fast as we could, and were there by 7:30. I was so ready for someone to help us!
It just so happens that Kait's dentist was doing surgeries, and she had to be seen by another dentist. They took a basic x-ray of just the two misplaced teeth, and said we needed to see an oral surgeon. The teeth were only about 2/3 in, so they roots were not totally developed. Small roots don't give them much to work with.
They gave me a list of surgeons, and I had to pick. I felt like I was making such uniformed decisions because I hadn't heard of most of them, and didn't know any of them.
To further complicate things, I found out that our insurance didn't cover any of the O.S.'s in Lima. We would have to travel at least 45 min. It became worse from there...it just so happens that there is a O.S. conference this week and every one I called was out of town!
We found one 45 minutes north of us who was in, but was working out of a satellite office another hour north of that. Having no choice, I took it.
We left her dentist around 9:30 and came home. I did some quick cleaning, and fixed breakfast for the other kids (one still recovering from pneumonia and the other from a head cold).
Kait and I left about 11 to see the O.S. God gave us a safe, comfortable trip, and I'm so thankful for that. I had never been to the town before, and had no difficulty finding the office.
I won't go into the details of my first impressions, etc. When I have more energy, I may post them at Simply Stephanie. It's worth describing, trust me, I'm just tired!
The o.s. had two options, try to save the teeth (he said there was 30% chance it would take) or pull them the rest of the way and be on to a retainer with false teeth until she is developed enough to have implants. I told him I wanted him to give it a shot, and he did.
Because I hadn't looked at the inside of her mouth, I didn't realize what all was going on. When they went in, there was a large flap of skin pushed back on the roof of her mouth. From the front on back. She also fractured the bone in the roof of her mouth. The dr manipulated that bone a bit and stitched the roof of the mouth. Then the took a chain link type material and wrapped the teeth and anchored them to the back teeth that are sturdy. They also removed the baby tooth opposite the one that fell out last night. It was loose, and they needed to get it out of the way.
She had to have 5 shots in the roof of her mouth front top gums and up in toward the nose. The dr told her it would hurt really bad, and that she would have to be strong. Her dentist uses gas, so she has never had to feel an oral injection like that. She cried at the thought of it, and I prayed in her ear and encouraged her to be strong before I left the room.
A couple of times during the procedure, staff members came out and told me that she was amazing...better than some adults they had seen. I know that was God helping her...
Within just over an hour, they were finished, and we were getting instructions before heading home. I picked up her antibiotic in Findlay on the way through, and we pulled into the garage sometime after 5 this evening.
She will be getting her stitches out a week from tomorrow. I assume he will assess her at that time, but I don't know how long they will leave the apparatus on her teeth. We are accepting the fact that the chances of this working are slim, but we are praying that God's will be done. He knows what is best.
In the meantime, if you see her, she might try to hide. I told her that people will probably make comments about it but it won't be in a negative way because people are concerned and are praying for her. So please understand if she doesn't want to talk about it or whatever. It all depends on how she is feeling about it at the moment.
I don't want her to quit smiling. I don't want her to feel ugly. I want her to know nothing has changed about who she is. And that's what matters most.
Thanks for your continued prayers...and I might post a pic tomorrow.
4 comments:
I've been thinking about Kaitlyn (and YOU, too) alot today!! Dental problems are so not fun!! Praying that things go as well as possible and she heals quickly!!!
bless her little heart, will be praying for her to heal fast, love, aunt donna
Sending prayers your way. Hope she heals quickly.
Bless your hearts what a sad thing to happen...and poor lil' Kaitlyn! Praying for her and y'all!
Love,
~Heather~
Post a Comment