Friday, December 9, 2011

Today's Report...


Although I'm not a morning person (more on that later), God gave me a beautiful 45 minute drive to the oral surgeon's office this morning! The snow was picture perfect, and the roads were easily maneuvered.
When we arrived for our 8:30 appt, the office was dark and the sign said, "Closed...will return at 9 a.m."  That seemed a little odd to me, because the receptionist had set us up for 8:30. Hmm.
Anyway, through the darkness I could see the glow of the doc's face in a computer monitor, and he came to let us in.  He told us to have a seat cause we were a little early (it was 8:29) and he went to turn on the lights. 
After another 15 minutes of us being the only one's in the place, I heard him on the phone saying, "Hey, I'm the only one here, and we have a patient...that's not good."  He then went on to mention something about it being odd that the nurse hadn't shown up yet, and that her husband hadn't heard from her. 
About ten minutes later, a woman came through the back door, and I heard her say to him, "Well, it's not the end of the world, d**n it!"  Then she came over, flipped on the rest of the lights and the office machines, and said hello to us.  :-)
After a few more minutes, the doc called us back so he could take a look.  Kaitlynn was supposed to get the stitches taken out today, but he didn't seem inclined to do it.  He said it was because she was still tender.  I tend to think he was a little lost without his nurse.
He checked her bite and the healing of her gums.  She wasn't extremely cooperative (I can understand a little), so he didn't do much more.  We are to go back December 22 @ 9a.m. to have the stitches removed.
And as of 9:05, neither of his nurses had shown.  I hope they are ok...there was some bad weather a little northwest of us.
Back to my very first impressions...we were so desperate for help and so limited in options, that we could not get second opinions, etc.  after the accident.  When we went into this surgeon's office, his receptionist almost scared me.  She looked like something straight out of 1981 - starched bangs and all.  I'm thinking, "If this is the front desk, Lord only knows what the doc is like." 
I wasn't far off...the doc looked like he had just crawled out of a cave.  He has long curly hair, a scruffy beard/moustache, a pierced left ear, no socks, and a train wreck for a set of teeth.  I know I shouldn't judge him by all of that, but when I look at a dentist, I usually check out the teeth.  Can't help it.  Oh, and I forgot to mention that he makes Greg look like a midget.  He's only 6'4" (I asked), but he is huge thick and has mammoth hands.  Kaitlynn was scared to death when she saw him, and although I haven't told her, I was too! 
More than once I have asked, "Lord, why couldn't you give us a normal doctor that wasn't so scary?"  But God knew our plight even before all this happened...and we're trusting that He's gonna get us through just fine!
In the meantime, Kaitlynn lost five pounds this week and has added bronchitis to her list of ailments.  I made a large pot of vegetable beef soup yesterday, and she had me grind up several bowls of it.  I think the appetite is making a comeback.  Thanks so much to all who are praying for her.  I have been humbled and blessed by the people who have taken her name before God!

photo credit

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

i read your blog occasionally and just wanted to say i'm So Sorry!! for this ordeal y'all have been through....sounds awful! i trust things improve and heal quickly!
(my Mom has had some dental insanity this week so i understand a little)

Sharonda said...

I've been thinking about you all lately and hope everyone is on the mend soon. Kaitlynn cannot afford to lose any more weight I'm afraid. Hopefully her appetite continues to grow as she recovers from this accident and sickness.

We had a good laugh with your description of the dentist, along with your experience this morning. Hopefully everything will turn out okay. I know we have an awesome God who cares about us more than we could ever imagine.

Anonymous said...

LOVED YOUR BLOG, I DON'T BLAME KAITLYNN I WOULDN'T WANT HIM IN MY MOUTH EITHER, TAKE CARE AND YOU ARE ALL IN MY PRAYERS, LOVE, AUNT DONNA

The Dickinsons said...

Bless her heart. Phillip and I couldn't IMAGINE anyone making Greg look like a midget. ;) ...I'm sure Kaitlynn (sp?) WAS Scared to death when she saw him!

Praying for complete healing!

Thanks for your sweet comment!

Love,
~Heather~

The Dickinsons said...

Stephanie, I would LOVE to know where you got your CUTE "It's the Most wonderful time of the year" button. I clicked on it and it took me to The cutest Blog on the block, but then it didn't have that button on there, only other Christmasy, wintery buttons. =( Any ideas where I can get that so I can copy you? (Remember copying someone is the best form of flattery. =)

~Heather~

The Dickinsons said...

OK...I found it...so I'm officially copying you on my blog with the Christmas button. =) I hope you still love me. Hee! Hee!

~Heather~

Beth said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for all she has been through. I have not been on the internet much and I just seen about her accident. I hope she feels better soon. When i was little can't remember how old 12 or 13yrs I would say. I knocked my front 2 teeth out. I have had 4 root canals done they told me I would loose my teeth by the time I was 30. But I still have them. Just saying I'm glad you choose to try and save her teeth:-) Hope you all have great Chirstmas!!