Saturday, April 21, 2007

Our Week

This IHC week was unlike any I've ever experienced! On Sunday evening, Greg had me feel a knot in his neck, in the gland area. By Monday evening there were three more of them, all the way up to the top of his head. I told him to try to get in to the Dr. before we left on Tuesday, so we could get antibiotic, etc., before leaving. When the Dr. took a look at him, she said, "Why do you people come to me with these things? You should be in the ER!" She sent him straight for a CAT scan because she didn't see any infection in his ear or throat. Because he was taking so long, I finally called to see where he was, and he said he was getting ready for a CAT scan. Well, you know we mothers tend to be on the nervous side of things, and my stomach immediately went into knots. Dr. put him on strong medication and told him they would call if anything was abnormal. Due to the lateness of the afternoon, we decided not to go to IHC that evening, but head on to the hotel, be there by 8:30 or so, and just relax. We were about 10 minutes from our exit, and Kaitlynn coughed really suspiciously. I asked her if she was ok, and said, "That sounded like a pukey cough." Sure enough 2 minutes later, she started vomiting. We contained things as well as we could until we reached our destination, and when I went to check in, I knew this hotel had issues. I will skip the graphic details, but needless to say, the hotel was so bad we could not stay in it. I have never had such an experience, and because we purchased the reservation on Priceline, there wasn't much we could do in the way of a refund. I had also made reservations for my parents, and Eric & Megan. We ended up having to pack everything back into the van, and fortunately we were able to find a great place to stay for a very reasonable price. By this time Kaitlynn had both dreaded flu symptoms, and they continued for 24 hours straight. I was up with her all night Tuesday night, and had just fallen asleep about 8:15 Wednesday morning, when the Dr. called. My stomach once again went into knots because they had said they would call if something was wrong. I guess they just wanted Greg to know it was an acute sinus infection, and he needed to be seen again in a week. Whew! Fortunately, my parents were able to make sure the boys didn't miss any children's services, and mom and Grandma Yount stayed with Kaitlynn Wednesday evening while I went to service. By Thursday morning, my little lady was feeling much better, but still very weak. We stayed at the hotel as long as we could without paying for an extra night, and then wrapped her in her stroller and headed for IHC. Needless to say, I didn't see too many people! Some were gone by the time I finally arrived. It was fun to see Holly Emory, Dorcas Bishop, Dan and Angie Edwards (who were on their way out the door with a puking kid), Erin (Gibson) Enyart...and many more. Two highlights were the children's program (awesome job, Char!) and the patriotic rally. I was only able to get in on the tail end of Dr. Gibbs' message, but had a chance to thank him afterward for his part in making the LU scholarships available to all who teach A.C.E. Dr. Gibbs made the connection with Dr. Jerry Falwell, who actually showed up in person at our A.C.E. conventions to tell us how impressed he was with the program. Dr. Falwell gave some pretty amazing statistics in regard to college entrance exams. Students were broken into three classes: public school grads, Christian school (non-A.C.E.) grads, and A.C.E./Homeschool grads. A.C.E./Homeschool grads outscored the others by quite a bit (I don't remember his exact figures), and he announced that A.C.E. high school students and teachers would be eligible for undergrad./grad./doctoral classes with the cost of only books and fees. Speaking of which, I still have half of my paper to write, and since it is due tomorrow at midnight, I must commence. I look forward to hearing from you!
p.s. By the way, for all of you who told me at IHC that you read my blog, please post! I love seeing who is hanging around!

6 comments:

Martha C said...

Bless your heart! You are having a rough time with sickness, aren't you!

Nancy said...

Wow...I wondered why I didn't see you. i did see your boys in the Chapel of the children. Both were dressed and behaved like fine young gentlemen! Kids just have a way of making our lives and events so interesting don't they....Michael did the same thing a year ago when we went to Va. for Chris' graduation. (at Liberty Univ)It's one trip we still laugh about....

The Dickinsons said...

Dear Stephanie,
BLESS YOUR DEAR HEART! Not only did you have a sick child...that may have still had the chicken pox too, you discovered that your hotel room was NOT A GO, and had to search for another one, and you probably (if you were like me) were suspecting that your husband had cancer or some unknown dreaded disease, and would die on you next week. (Does the Bible mention something about NOT WORRYING? HA!) Glad that your little girl got some better, that you got to sneak into IHC for a little while, and that Greg should be able to get better really soon too. Praise the Lord!
Enjoyed reading your blog! =)
Love ya, Heather

Rob and Deanna said...

Hey Steph,
Missed being able to chat with you at IHC. I saw you Wed. & was going to come talk with you but I got busy with Duston & when I looked up you were gone. :-) We ran in to Greg at the Spaghetti Warehouse & Rob talked with him for a while. Hope your week "off" is RELAXING! ha
Deanna

Dan said...

Hey Stephanie:

Just stumbled onto your Blog...from someone else's Blog:-)

Anyways, thanks for the heads up on the Priceline thing:-) We were just getting ready to do that for the Ministerial next week, and after reading about your experience, I think we will just pay more and be satisfied! LOL

Dan Plemmons

Carrie said...

Note about Priceline: We always use Priceline for our motels. We've been burnt once, but complained to Priceline about it and they said they would not use that motel again. So, even though you won't get a refund, call them (or leave a bad survey) and it will keep others from having the same experience.

The thing that stood out to me, Steph? The "pukey" cough. Oh my goodness, you know you're an experienced mother when you can tell what's going to happen by the sound of the cough! When I hear that cough, I know I have about 30 seconds to get the boys where they need to be!

Praying that your family will get better and STAY better! :)