Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mixed Emotions...

yes, I'm a woman, therefore I'm allowed to have those! Life is not always filled with pleasantness, there are many disappointments, too. I have two things today for which I am very thankful! After Monday's post, Allison became very sick. By Tuesday morning, she was very lifeless, carrying a low-grade temp, and moaning with every breath. I was able to get her into the doctor 1st thing, and although they didn't give a distinct diagnosis, they put her on antibiotic. Her right ear did have some redness. Over the last two days she has had high temps off and on, lots of head congestion, and no appetite. I was fearful of dehydration yesterday, as she had very few wet diapers and wasn't taking much liquid. She hasn't started baby food yet, so milk is her only sustinance, and she wasn't taking it from either me or the bottle. Throughout yesterday evening she perked up somewhat, and ate off and on throughout the night. Today her temp is 98.9 without Tylenol! She is resting peacefully, taking her nourishment, and smiling as before. Thank the Lord! I'm still going to have fun getting amoxicillin down her 3x daily for another 8 days. She hates it, clenches her gums, then blows it all over the place once it is in her mouth! Ugh!
For those of you who have kept up with my blog from the beginning, you may remember my comments about some research I did for a class last summer. I wrote on the topic of polygamy in the church of the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, and mentioned my disgust as to how this type of community could legally exist in the USA. With the amount of sexual abuse that takes place within the walls of the compounds, it just amazed me that more was not done to stop the criminal behavior. As I'm sure you've heard, a 16-year-old girl finally was able to call authorities with information on which they could legally act. All the things I read about are now broadcast on major news networks, and the anchors are acting stunned that this wretched behavior has been occuring. For the sake of the 400+ children who have been "rescued" from this lifestyle, I am so thankful. My heart is heavy for the children who have children (14-year-old girls w/3 kids of their own...). How they will be placed by Child Protective Services, God only knows. I know we are far detached from their circumstances, but I'm sure our prayers for them won't go unheard.
Well, I know this post wasn't much, but it's probably all I'll have for a couple of days due to an essay and a mid-term exam facing me before the weekend. Thanks for all of your prayers for the kids!

1 comment:

Martha C said...

The creepy thing is that their dress code reminds me of some very conservative groups I know. To the world, they will lump all of them in the same boat. Years ago, I had a friend that was asked if she was part of "that group from Waco,Texas."