Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Ryan!!!

It's hard to believe that I became a mom nine years ago! I remember it like it was yesterday...I guess I was too naive to even be nervous! I was off of work for a couple of weeks previous to Ryan's birth because of elevated blood pressure. Thursday, November 18, 1999, I slept it, and ate only a piece of toast for breakfast because Thursday was Greg's short day, and we were going to have lunch together after he took me to the dr. for what was then a twice-a-week checkup. Well, our little plan was quickly diverted when the midwife took my bp and insisted that they would be bringing me a little "chariot" (wheelchair) in which I would take a ride straight from that room, over the skywalk, and to a labor room, where I would be induced. Taking one look at Greg, she asked him if he would be needing a ride also! He must have been a pale shade of gray at that point! So much for lunch. I still wasn't really all that nervous, I mean hey, it's just having a baby, right? :) At 4:05 that Thursday afternoon, they began what would be a lengthy process. By 4 a.m. Friday, nothing was happening. 12 hours of laying there in a miserable bed, without food or water, not even ice chips! Further attempts at induction failed, so around noon they broke my water. Things started moving then, but not in the right direction! Dr. said I was having the contractions of someone who would be dilated 10, but I was at 1. :( Pretty miserable. Within a couple of hours Ryan's heart rate began to drop, and they prepared me for emergency c-section. Those moments were a complete blur, but when they wheeled me from surgery to the mother/baby suite, I caught a glimpse of a little red head by the nursery window, and faintly heard somebody say, "There he is! That's your boy!" Nathaniel Ryan was born at 4:05 p.m. on Friday, November 19th. He was 7lbs. 4 oz, and 20.25 in. I was back in dreamland for the next couple of hours, but when reality hit, I was sure thankful for the many blessings and mercies God had bestowed upon our little family!

A small party with friends at school...

$5 if you can tell what this is! Actually, I was trying to make a football out of cupcakes and marshmallows.

Ryan wanted a pic with each of us...














We had a little party and opened gifts with mamaw and papaw before they had to leave for an appointment...









Money talks! His words, "Mom, don't post this on the blog!" Hey - every kid should get underwear from his mom for his birthday!


I asked Ryan if he would be hurt if I didn't make him a cake this year. He said, "No, I'm too old for cakes. I just want Texas Roadhouse." Done deal!


Enjoying Texas Roadhouse...until Kaitlynn threw a peanut, missed her target (me), and hit the guy behind us in the head. Thankfully he wasn't upset!




Ryan desperately wanted a suit this year. Since the demise of the local Value City, I haven't done any suit shopping...so...it was off to Sears to break the bank for a suit. At least he can pass it off to Evan when he outgrows it!








6 comments:

Brenda said...

That's so cute how Evan is leaning on Ryan in the top picture!

Anonymous said...

that is my first birth story almost to a "t". even the end result being a redheaded little boy! he would have been 9 yrs old when Ryan was born. and I wonder why I feel old.

the cupcake football is cute. and yes I could tell right away it was a football. :)

~Elaine

Rob and Deanna said...

Looks like a football to me. :-) Very cute idea!

Andrea said...

I remember that day vividly. I was so excited for you to have your first baby. I was calling you guys off the hook, because I was so thrilled. I remember calling while you where in the surgery room, and it happened to be the exact time Ryan was born. I was jumping up and down, when I heard he was born!

Blair Bunch said...

Time sure flies! Great pics! I really enjoy them!

Adam & Val & Aubrey & Annie said...

Your post...I cried and I laughed. Now how is that for an emotional aunt! I remember so well that day 9 years ago. I was SO super excited to be an aunt. Ryan was MY baby for sure! I'm so glad you didn't have to go through what you did with Ryan for the rest of them...it was hard enough as it was! Happy Birthday, Ryan, I love you!

The part where Kaitlynn hit the guy with a peanut cracked me up. I can just imagine what her face must have looked like and what her reaction must have been when she did that. Too funny!

Oh, so that "cake" wasn't maggots? haha...just kidding. (inside joke) Glad he "settled" for Texas Roadhouse...that's SO Ryan!