Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ideas...

Like most everyone else, a new year has me chomping at the bit to get some things organized! I have a few ideas that I am trying, but I would like some input from my blog buddies. What is your favorite tip for organization? Have you found something that works? I am a "stacker". Bills and other important papers are the worst for me !

A couple of things that I have tried:

For the girls hair things, I have been using a hanging jewelry organzier that I purchased from Avon. It has small compartments which are great for pairing up matching hair bands. Some of the pockets are larger...I use the "necklace" compartment for headbands.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a hanging file tote from Office Depot...nothing too big, just something to organize bills, bank statements, magazines, etc. I have loads of cabinet space in the kitchen, and that is where I usually go through the mail. When the tote gets full, I am SUPPOSED to find a few minutes to unload it to the big file cabinet. That second step always seems to get me, so I have slacked on that organizational method. Hope to revive that one this week because it worked really well!

I have difficulty parting with most of the things the kids bring home from school. I saw an idea that I am going to use. Buy each child a large 3-ring binder with clear protector sleeve sheets. As the kids bring home certificates, grade cards, or special projects, place them into the next available sleeve. When they graduate, they will have a binder full of memories that should end up being in chronological order.

It's time to get ready for church, so I need to wrap this up...Please post your favorite idea(s)! It will help me to know you are alive, if nothing else! :)

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Heh. I'm basically letting you know I'm alive. I have the exact same problems you do--little stacks everywhere! Magazines, school papers, bills, newsletters, etc. Ugh! I'll be looking forward to others' answers!

Christa said...

Came across your blog through other blogs--is your husbands parents Nathan and Alberta?

Leah said...

Hey Stephanie - I am with you on this one! I usually try to "re-organize" after the first of the year. I do not always succeed though!!! I will definitely be anxious to hear what others have to say! I need help in this area also!

sharon said...

i use a toolbox for the hair stuff.. hope this helps
the other stuff I am with you on that..

Verla said...

I read in Heloise or heard it somewhere to put smaller things in boxes like shoe boxes. For the older kids you could write on the ends what is in them and for the younger ones that cannot read use pictures.
Also have one section of the closet that you can get their clothes ready for the week. It is a lot easier in the morning to just take the hanger down and let them dress themselves. When I was working I did this for myself and it saved me a lot of time especially if I was running a little late.
Hope these ideas work. If you need help pasting the pictures or writing the words on the end, I am available.
Have a good day

Anonymous said...

As your mother, who is the queen of stacks...especially in certain areas like my kitchen...I think your fireplace or my outdoor burner would help some, especially with receipts that do not need to be saved. Your methods are good, just designate a time each month to do the final filing, and you will be all set! I think a good time would be one Thursday night each month while the children are in Good News Club.

southernsweetie99 said...

With three kids we have trouble keeping up with shoes. I hate to hear as we start to walk out the door "Mom! I can't find my other shoe!" So I keep a large 3 tier rack with all of their shoes. No one is allowed to take their shoes to their room. :)It has helped alot! I also set all my clocks 15 minutes fast so that I am always on time. I know it's psychological! :)

Your Penn Palz : said...

great ideas... thanks for sharing. i especially love the first one. our little aly is just over a year old, but already has so many hair 'accesses' ;-) that we can't find a place for them!
have a fine 2009...