Thursday, March 22, 2007
Just a thought...
On January 7, 2007 I created my 1st blog. Since that time I have reconnected with many old friends, and connected with some new ones that I had previously only viewed from a distance. Since men aren't frequent visitors to my blog (maybe they lurk, but they don't post), it has become a place where women connect on a humerous and sometimes emotional level. Posting on other friend's blogs has given me a chance to "build" relationships in a way that would have never happened without the web. The other day I got to thinking about how it is going to feel when I go to IHC, campmeeting, or other spring/summer events and see these people with whom I have been communicating for 3 months, but have never really known. Will we stare across a large room at each other, trying to make sure we have the "right" person, or will we race across whatever chasm separates us and share a huge hug of friendship, while our husbands and children stare at us for acting so wierdly around "strangers"? The mental image had me cracking up, but I wanted to share that to say this: If you see me out and about, please make yourself known! It is sometimes much easier, especially as women, to converse in a world where we're not judged by our appearances (fashion, weight, beauty, etc.). When we come face to face we automatically become different, if we're not careful. Our barriers tend to go up, our inferiorities come out of hiding, and we spend more time trying to create "good" impressions of ourselves and our children than we do nurturing lasting relationships. Let me know if you're with me on this, and hopefully we'll get to see each other soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I was thinking the same thing...I want to have a blog party at the Crowne Plaza. A place where we can meet and greet.....will you bring the punch?
Totally agree with you.
I won't be at IHC this year. Since we are at Bob Jones, they have a totally different schedule, and IHC isn't a hit in Baptist land. :-)
Believe it or not, Robert and I were just discussing this not too long ago (about being a more real person online vs. the facade of interacting in person)!
I have to laugh--you're absolutely right! I recently met some people face-to-face at Bus Convention that I've gotten "acquainted" with online. I think Robert thought I'd lost my marbles!
I won't be able to make it to IHC, but who knows? Maybe we can have a blogger party at Homecoming?
Oh yeah, and if I see you, I'll come over and say hi! ;)
I don't think I'll be at IHC this year, but if I'm able to get there, I'm just warning you in advance: I'm the pudgy, graceless blonde with big hair and uneven eyebrows.
Post a Comment